…SF addict …

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Healing pots with Philip K Dick!

Next up another library find, Galactic Pot Healer by Philip K Dick, which has to be one of the strangest titles for a SF book ever!
But then again the man wrote a book called Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which thankfully got filmed as Bladerunner!
Dick is a cult figure in the US and I've yet to find a book of his I can really gel with. He deals more in the softer sciences and often uses strange devices in his stories to drive the story along. This one is a story about a pot healer in the futuure, that is a mender of broken ceramics who is called upon to work on a projext on Plowman's Planet,inhabited by strange creatures,one of whom are called the Glimmung.
Hmmm I was left with a sense of 'what the hell is going in in Dick's mind when he wrote this!'
There's an engaging adventure in there but its hidden amongst his pseudo-scientific ramblings. And at end I was left thinking, what was the point of this book?
I'm not done with PKD yet though, I will come back to him....

No comments: