…SF addict …

Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Palace of Eternity

Next up is a book I knew nothing about until someone mentioned it on SFF Chrons Forum. I got curious and managed to find one on BookMooch. I've only read one Bob Shaw book before, Fire Pattern which is about spontaneous human combustion or SHC.
This book is totally different and is set in the distant future, when humanity has spread over many star systems in faster than light ships called "Butterfly Ships" named for the shape of the intense magnetic fields which spread for hundreds of miles around them.

The writing in this book  is fabulous,very stylish-definitely a keeper! I'll be keeping my eye open for more from this under-rated author!

2 comments:

j purdie said...

Hmm, quote To be able to send PMs your post count must be 10 or greater unquote. That forum is not to my liking.

Here's what I would have PM'd back if I was allowed to:

Hi Larry,

Cheers, I've started following your blog. Will browse through the entries when I get a chance.

Bob Shaw: www.shadowdevil.com/jp

There's also a direct link at ansible.co.uk: I also got some interesting things re Bob from Dave Langford at Ansible and they're among the earliest posts.

You can also read most posts at my blogger blog as I use Windows Live Writer to write once and post many times, but the scans of the book covers are only available at the Bob Shaw blog.

It's only been up about six months and I'm not rushing it because there is a limited amount of material to blog about.


Regards

John

Larry said...

Nice blog there John!