…SF addict …

Friday, February 26, 2010

Watch out for flying Crab paste!

Finally, I get to read a Neal Asher book! I've been dying to get hold of one of these books for ages but my library never had any in, or if they did it was one novel and it didnt hang around, and I'd be already in the middle of a book so wouldnt get another book out. Yesterday though it all came together. Nothing reading and a trip to the town library. I'd checked on the library's website the night before and amazingly 3 novels were listed as On Shelf-could it be? Was my library actually going to prove useful?
Indeed  it was! The library had had a facelift with a new expanded SF section (listed as rack one:Science Fiction, rack two, Paranormal Fiction, rack 3 Fantasy etc, even though all the books were just listed alphabetically and by Dewey numbers.) Anyway, there at the start under A, was Aldiss, Asimov and Asher! Big bold hardbacks, 3 in a row (a third one was found on its own further down, the collection 'The Gabble and Other Stories' which I might just have to buy!) Eyeing up the weighty tomes I decided on the slimmest as an introduction to the man's work-reading time is precious and slim for me! And so I came out with Prador Moon, which as it turns out is the first in the Polity series, published in 2006!
I say I was tentative in choosing which one to read but having already read about Mr Asher's books in reviews on the SFF Chronicles forum, (he is a member there) as well as on Fantastic Fiction ,not to mention the author's blog, The Skinner, I felt pretty sure I wasnt gonna be disappointed, and after just one chapter I can happily report I was right! This is fast paced gripping stuff, very 'now', very big and very fun!
BTW, if you're wondering about the crab reference, well the Prador are described as large,crab like aliens, rather nasty in fact!
I believe things get a bit gory later on too-I shall report.....
Well, after 4 days I finished the book which is incredibly fast for me-just shows how un-put downable it is! Excellent story, will definitely be reading more by this author!
And yes, it got a bit gory ;)

9 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Hi Larry-- Is this the novel in which runcible keeps popping up? I'll have to read it. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a Lear-themed comment. I really like this internet of ours.

Larry said...

Hi there, yea that word does keep popping up-at first I thought it was something Asher made up.
Its the first Asher book I have read and is very 'readable' if you know what I mean.
Thanks for dropping in!

j purdie said...

I've seen his name around a lot but he's a bit short in bookstores. I was in Waterstones' today and didn't notice any of his books. Although they do have a small SF section; only a couple of stacks compared to the four or five set aside for crime fiction. and most of the 'SF' is fantasy anyway. Or maybe he's a popular author and they'd sold out of all his books.

Following your own blog; isn't that like chasing your tail? Does Google notify you when you post a blog?

Larry said...

Ah,well Asher is relatively new I suppose, first novel in 2001. But then Alastair Reybolds' first novel was in 2000…
As for me following myself, I don't know how that happened or where to undo it! Sometimes strange things happen on here when browsing from my phone!

Neal Asher said...

I always go with the 'sold out' idea when I walk into a book store and can't find my books - doesn't wound my ego so much!

Larry said...

lol,good idea Neal!
I cant believe I'm halfway thru this book already,and thats with only sparse reading time!

Larry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
j purdie said...

Neal will be delighted to know my local Waterstones' now have his books on the shelves. I think they were doing some stock taking as the whole SF shelves have been revamped. I picked up a copy of Prador Moon for £6.99 (hardly any three for twos in the SF section) and rattled through it in a couple of days. Great read.

Larry said...

I had a surprise the other day. Our local book clearance shop has a boat load of books all for £2. One of them was Prador Moon...