…SF addict …

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Island life...

Next up, a book by Greg Egan, an Australian  author I've tried before but failed. (Permutation City, need to re-try that one)
This one, Teranesia, is about a tiny island and a 9 year old boy named Prabir Suresh, and his discoveries there. His parents are entomologists studying the buttterflies on the island but the boy, bored, begins to imagine his own creatures living there. Years later his younger sister Maddy returns with news of strange new insects and plants on the island, and Prabir, now an adult, must investigate...
Strange cover by Rebecca Devereux, not the best I've seen!
Cant quite pin this book down-its not SF even tho its set partly in 2012, but its not fantasy either, and yet its not quite a contemporary novel. I suppose one could categorise it with the likes of Empire of the Sun, I'm not sure.
It is an enjoyable story though, very much easy reading-so far...
One interesting thing about this book is it was originally published in 1995, before the internet was established (wasnt that 1997?), and yet the author describes the net, websites, message boards and laptops!
Well I'm just past halfway thru and I'm bored! Sure this one is easy reading but its just so well, dull! I find myself constantly waiting for something to happen!
Time to crack out a Alastair Reynolds book I borrowed from the library!

No comments: