…SF addict …

Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Moon is Hell!

Not been reading much of late, got kind of bored with SF, and being rather busy and fed up of the heat,the World Cup and annoying  chavvy neighbours - I  needed a break, and it took me ages to re-read Rendezvous with Rama. I've also been busy with photography and other things, and have been working on a few other blogs.
But now I'm back on the horse as it were and am going to start on a slim paperback by the late great John W. Campbell Jr.
Who you may ask? Well some may know him as the editor of Astounding Science Fiction back in the 1930s and 40s and as promoter of  early SF in general, garnering the likes of Asimov and Heinlein. But he was also a damn good SF writer himself! He wrote a story called Who Goes There-many may be familiar with the 1981 John Carpenter film The Thing, which was based on that old story!
Anyway this book (awful cover pic!) concerns itself with a moon mission and was written in 1951, taking the form of a journal, with chapters being like diary entries. Could be fun....

Fun it wasnt-far from it in fact! I found it very dull and boring  as there is no dialogue or character interaction at all. I got halfway through and had had enough!

3 comments:

j purdie said...

"got kind of bored with SF" A balanced diet works wonders Larry. I get a fair amount of mainstream (and crime) fiction with my three for twos at Waterstones and it makes you appreciate SF more.

Campbell is of course a legendary Editor but I don't think I've never read anything from him. (There's always the possibility I've read a story of his in some collection.) Might be worth digging out; being an Editor his output would be mostly short stories. A great way to get introduced to a writer. Well, an SF writer, what passes for short stories in mainstream leaves a lot to be desired.

Larry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larry said...

I think with me its a case of frustration about not having as much time to read as I'd like really, and after a spate of dull or difficult books my brain was tired! When that happens I tend to pick up a science or nature book for a change of scene. Then suddenly I'll get interested in SF again and away I'll go! I also need to find more 'classic' SF works from the authors I read, rather than their lesser known,hence mediocre works. This is the case with this Campbell book-it really is dull, due to the fact that its written as diary entries from one character. There's no depth, no emotional involvement and little conflict! I'm not halfway thru and I've had enough! This year so far has been bad for SF reading for me!