…SF addict …

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

This short tale was written in 1764 and  is the earliest piece of fiction I've read so far. The tale, concerning the heritage of a castle and the owner's dire need to keep it within his family,  is reckoned to be the first gothic horror. Funny thing is, apart from a few odd incidents there's little that says horror in this tale. Still it was entertaining enough, and despite its age very easy to read!

Now onto The Shunned House, a short tale by H. P. Lovecraft.

2 comments:

j purdie said...

Getting a little jealous about the ability to pick and choose single stories now; these are all being read on that new fangled devil machine where whole books appear as if by magic I take it?

Larry said...

Indeed they are ;)
Though my next read is a bona fide paper book (see next installment)
Oh and my other half is now reading a Bob Shaw book-Other Days Other Eyes-which I received from you!