…SF addict …

Monday, March 7, 2011

A very strange book!

Last book I read was a classic weird tale by William Hope Hodgson.

When I downloaded House on the Borderland (1908) I was expecting a gothic horror tale, and at first it did fit into that kind of gothic horror mold, but then it changed, and became something quite strange! Basically its a tale about an old manuscript discovered in an old house, kind of a journal which describes the character's adventures in and around the house. There is a strange pit in the garden which also leads to the house's cellar. There are strange 'swine faced beasts' and a journey into space! I'm not quite sure where this story fits genre wise but it was quite entertaining! Think Edgar Allan Poe meets the Time Machine meets the stargate sequence in 2001 A space Odyssey! Odd but fun!

3 comments:

j purdie said...

I thought this was way out when I first read it too. Sort of dream like, but very vivid and evocative. Totally different to his Carnacki tales, which are quite good horror stories. I have three of his books and I'm trying to rack my brains as to what the other one is.

Larry said...

Would one of those books be In the Night Land by any chance? I might look out for that one (am reading an Aldiss book at the mo)

j purdie said...

Thanks, it most likely is The Night Land. There weren't too many of his books available to - weird as I think he wrote quite a few short stories - but I think there are more books available now.