…SF addict …

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Heinlein fail!

Tried to read Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, a book about a colony on the moon in the 2050s, trying to get trade embargos and such with Earth lifted. It sounds good but I found the writing style awkward and choppy, with verbs omitted, kind of like how teenagers tend to talk on facebook. No The and A, so instead of saying It gets very annoying, very quickly, we get Gets annoying quickly, or Went to computer room, no-one there.
Plus there are lots of politicing which reminded me of Asimov's dreary Foundation saga.
On the whole I found the book tedious and boring, or as Heinlein would say in this book, "found book tedious, boring..." Which is annoying because I like Heinlein's stuff; have read and enjoyed Stranger in a Strange Land, Waldo, Magic Inc, The Puppet Masters and a few others, but this one just did my head in!
Yawn...gonna read some Alan Dean Foster instead...

4 comments:

j purdie said...

I've read quite a bit of Heinlein and frankly prefer the later stuff; Number of The Beast, etc; even though generally I have an aversion to Big Thick Books. Probably Time Enough For Love is my favourite book from Heinlein, another BTB. Can't remember if I read this one as I read a lot of his books from the local library. I only own about a dozen or so of his books.

Larry said...

Stranger in a Strange Land is a classic, and I loved The Cat Who Walks Through Walls! Also Waldo Magic Inc and Podkayne of Mars was pretty good for a juvenile

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

Heinlein's been hit or miss with me. Starship Troopers was amazing, but I gave up halfway through Glory Road. I own Moon is a Harsh Mistress (see what I did there), but now I'm less inclined to pick it up. Thanks for the review.

openid said...

I like most of Heinlein, early and late both. Favourites are probably Citizen of the Galaxy, and Job. I prefered Methuselah's Children to Time Enough for Love.