…SF addict …

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I thought I'd give this a go as I love the art deco period, the flappers, the jazz age, the free spirits.
I've not seen the film but my copy was a new film tie-in edition.
The book itself is labelled as a novella but its still 230 odd pages.
Gatsby is supposedly this mysterious character with money and a big house, always holding parties.
The narrator Nick Carraway tells his story,  how he met him etc, but nothing of note happens. I persevered but enough was enough.  I quit. Bored.
The characters such as they are are thin and vapid, typical upper class bored twits. And there was little feel of the jazz age, it didn't feel like 1920s even though it was penned in 1922.
It is described as Fitzgerald's magnum opus but reading it was like watching a soap. And I dont do soaps.




No comments: